Type: Demon
Brightmaps: No
Added States: No
ACS: No
Submitted: Ganbare-Lucifer
Decorate: Thanuris
Sounds: Id software
Sprites: Id software
Sprite Edit: 00_Zombie_00 & Eriance (death animation)

Description:
Ice variant of the Mancubus that you know about. While it lacks the fiery ranged fireballs, don't get near it or else you'll end up being where hell freezes over.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BcbN6GiuVrSs1SL8-xUB6cviPECZ9kA/view?usp=drive_link
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Ganbare-Lucifer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus
Nice monster, would be cool (pun intended) if the attack slowed down the player a tiny bit, not too much and only for one second because any longer would be annoying.

• Gothic
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus
The firing sound should come from the Cryocubus, not the projectiles so it's not as loud:
Code:
Missile:     HIEL G 20  A_FatRaise     HIEL G 0 A_Facetarget     HIEL G 0 A_PlaySound("hielo/llama",5)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)           HIEL H 2 A_JumpIfCloser(600, "See")     Goto See
Also, are Thanuris and 00_Zombie_00 the same person? Because the code came directly from Zombie's thread

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Ganbare-Lucifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4 by Ganbare-Lucifer
Replied by Ganbare-Lucifer on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus

The firing sound should come from the Cryocubus, not the projectiles so it's not as loud:
Code:
Missile:     HIEL G 20  A_FatRaise     HIEL G 0 A_Facetarget     HIEL G 0 A_PlaySound("hielo/llama",5)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)     HIEL G 0 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,-24,0,3)     HIEL H 2 A_CustomMissile("LanzaHielo2",16,24,0,3)           HIEL H 2 A_JumpIfCloser(600, "See")     Goto See

Also, are Thanuris and 00_Zombie_00 the same person? Because the code came directly from Zombie's thread

Updated

Maybe Thanuris is one friend of Zombie that helped with the decorate as Zombie did the graphics.

If I'm indeed mistaken, then replace it with Zombie's name.

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus
I like this one a lot its simple but cool

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #6 by DeVloek
I just saw that this monster has been submitted and rejected before. The code between this and the old submission is exactly the same, so I guess you should take the feedback from that thread into account too. 00_Zombie_00 himself never replied to the lastest feedback so it was ultimately rejected.
btw he credits Thanuris for the code in his original file too so that's correct.

Off-topic, but I read through

Zombie's thread

and got his Apocalipsis monster from moddb, where in the comments he said he's gonna submit that monster to R667, but I don't think it ever happened? I have never seen that monster in the repo nor the forums, but although they seem to be missing some rotations I like the sprites he made and I have an idea how to combine the 2 different monster concepts from that wad. I'll try to make something out of that at some point...

• Gothic
More
2 weeks 6 days ago #7 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus
Any update on this?

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Ganbare-Lucifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
2 weeks 5 days ago #8 by Ganbare-Lucifer
Replied by Ganbare-Lucifer on topic [SUBMISSION] Cryocubus
As I mentioned, I've updated it before but the post was likely ignored.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #9 by DeVloek
The last uploaded version still has many issues.
  • MaxTargetRange is highly inaccurate, I don't think it really works as intended. The monster will attempt an attack while way out of the specified range.
    This, together with the A_JumpIfCloser check, results in constantly shooting once for one frame, taking a tiny step, shooting again for one frame, taking another step and so on. This is mostly noticable on targets that move very slowly or don't move at all. So you can easily kill the Cryocubus if you just stay put and while it takes baby steps towards you.
  • The function that spawns the projectile doesn't take pitch into account, so if you are on a ledge above the monster, it will shoot straight into the ledge below you.
  • The sound is only played once at the beginning of the attack, the attack loop is silent
  • The monster stun-locks everything that isn't immune to blast damage, making it win pretty much every infight.

Also some issues that were mentioned by Blue Shadow in the old thread still exist.

@Ganbare-Lucifer if you don't mind, I would like to take over this submission, zscriptify the code and fix all the mentioned issues. In fact I have already fixed most of them, I just need to do some balancing for infighting behavior. 

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #10 by DeVloek
Since I'm done with working on the zscript version of this monster, might as well upload it.

Fixes and changes:
  • removed ALWAYSFAST and NORADIUSDMG flags as they are no longer needed
  • added immunity to Ice damage
  • now only attacks when the target is in range, in sight and still alive
  • slightly increased attack telegraph duration, also added a short cooldown before the next attack can happen
  • replaced deprecated attack function, this also fixed the wrong pitch
  • randomized spread of the attack
  • visual improvements to the ice spray
  • re-balanced damage output (most damage is dealt in the middle of the spray cone)
  • attack sound is now repeated while attacking, also added short fade-in for a smoother overlap
  • while caught in the ice spray (and not ice-resistant), victims are slowed down, also monsters animate slower
  • monsters are no longer stun-locked until they die, instead they enter their pain state randomly so they still have a chance to retaliate

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ho3wBRYSeOmpAApjJecFtrUW6CMS2KY6/view?usp=sharing

Submission credit should still go to Ganbare-Lucifer ofc