[Submission] Uberpack

• Salahmander
  • Salahmander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 days ago - 3 weeks 2 days ago #1 by Salahmander
[Submission] Uberpack was created by Salahmander
Hiya, while the Megapack is an interesting powerup, I feel the megapack giving you a backpack having infinite ammo is a touch pointless given the ammo sphere exists, so instead, I felt it'd be better for it to completely max out your ammo upon pick up. I kept the original DECORATE in unless you feel it's not needed. Has been sorted into PK3.

Description: Increases carrying capacity like a normal backpack and gives the maximum ammo. Modders should add their mod's ammo types to it, as well.
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Salahmander.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 2 days ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [Update] Megapack

I feel the megapack giving you a backpack having infinite ammo is a touch pointless given the ammo sphere exists, so instead, I felt it'd be better for it to completely max out your ammo upon pick up

I totally agree. Although Pillowblaster mentioned in the description that it's a magical/demonic backpack, I think such an item would make more sense if it came in the form of a powerup/artifact, maybe a "Super Ammo Sphere" or something like that.... Your idea for this particular item (which doesn't look very magical tbh, after all it's just an oversized backpack) makes more sense to me than infinite ammo for a minute.

However, if you do this in Zscript you have access to the AllActorClasses global variable. This can be used to go through all ammotypes currently available in the game, including custom ammo, and give them to the player.

Here is how I'd do it (tested with custom ammo types from my custom weapons)
Code:
class Megapack : CustomInventory {     Default     {         Inventory.PickupMessage "Megapack!";         Inventory.Amount 1;         Inventory.PickupSound "misc/megapack";         +INVENTORY.FANCYPICKUPSOUND;         +INVENTORY.AUTOACTIVATE;         +INVENTORY.ALWAYSPICKUP;         +COUNTITEM;     }     States     {     Spawn:         BPK2 A -1;         Stop;     Use:         TNT1 A 0          {             A_GiveInventory("Backpack");             for (int i = 0; i < AllActorClasses.Size(); i++)             {                 let amm = Ammo(GetDefaultByType(AllActorClasses[i]));                 if (amm) A_GiveInventory(amm.GetClassName(),amm.BackpackMaxAmount);             }         }         Stop;     } }

• Salahmander
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #3 by Salahmander
Replied by Salahmander on topic [Update] Megapack
Ohhhh perfect. I'll use that for sure, is it still worth keeping the original DECORATE or just have it as that one and possibly have some sort of new fitting sprite that could function similarly to the original?

Also if it's gonna lose it's out of place demonic part of it, is it worth keeping it's GLDEFs? I commented it out for now.

Edit: Here's the updated version with your ZScript in, so much better and easier!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Salahmander.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 day ago #4 by DeVloek

Ohhhh perfect. I'll use that for sure, is it still worth keeping the original DECORATE or just have it as that one and possibly have some sort of new fitting sprite that could function similarly to the original?

I guess it's up to the admins/mods to decide, but I think splitting this into two different items would make the most sense at this point. Would be a shame if Pillowblaster's idea and work was scrubbed altogether, so I'd make a new sprite for the original Decorate, find a new name ("Mega Ammo Sphere" sounds good too), and submit that as a separate item. If anyone has ideas for that, let me know, I got some time to work on it.

Also if it's gonna lose it's out of place demonic part of it, is it worth keeping it's GLDEFs? I commented it out for now.

Oh I thought that's supposed to be a shadow, that it represents the demonic part of the item didn't really occur to me until you mentioned it ':-J
Also I just saw in the GLDEFS that it's a Pulselight, but the pulse is tiny so it isn't really noticable in-game. I guess I'd keep the shadow but change it to a simple Pointlight.

btw just a minor thing, but the Megapack's code could be optimized a little bit by changing the Use state to Pickup and deleting the AUTOACTIVATE flag. One less line of code, yay! :-)

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 day ago - 1 month 1 day ago #5 by DeVloek
OK I got another idea, not sure if its a good one.

Keep the Megapack as it was originally. But make a new item with the new code and a new sprite. Here are some sprites that I found in my resources folder, plus an edit of Mor'ladim's sprite by me.

Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by DeVloek. Reason: updated the edited sprite, the colors should look better now

• Salahmander
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 1 day ago #6 by Salahmander
Well one thing I got in mind is what you're suggesting, but if I can find some sort of hell corrupted backpack and have it for the original Megapack along with finding a more fitting name for it and have the Megapack name go to the new one, then everything will work out nicely in my eyes. How does that sound?

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 day ago #7 by DeVloek
I agree that would be ideal.
I'll keep a lookout for sprites that fit the "backpack from hell" theme, or I might try to edit one of the existing sprites if I can find the time. One idea that comes to mind is making a caco-style red/skin-colored backpack, with an eye in the middle and a few horns left and right  :lol:

• Salahmander
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 1 day ago #8 by Salahmander
No worries, I'll keep a lookout myself. Until then, I say this'll be a submission. Could rename the original Megapack the "HellPack" possibly.
Attachments:

• Gothic
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #9 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [Update] Megapack
If the Megapack would get an update, I would add an indicator to show how much time left has the infinite ammo effect. As for the new item, how about calling it the "Gigapack".

• Salahmander
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #10 by Salahmander
I was thinking maybe an Uberback, in my eyes, giga is bigger than mega so wouldn't go as well, but that's just me.