Actor modification: No
ACS: No
Submitted: Ganbare-Lucifer
Decorate: Amuscaria
Sounds: id Software
Sound Edits: Amuscaria
Sprites: id Software
Sprite Edits: Amuscaria

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AfU0aEDLt62xJaOMVWl485Qzj8QS0nuO/view?usp=drive_link
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Ganbare-Lucifer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Phantom Fiend
doesnt start
Code:
Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 1 Parent type 'BloodFiend' not found in PhantomFiend Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 64: Parent type 'BloodFiendMissile' not found in PhantomFiendMissile

I tried to load it with the Blood Fiend monster from the repo which I assume is the one that the decorate is looking for, but then I still get this error, regardless of load order:
Code:
Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 64: Parent type 'BloodFiendMissile' not found in PhantomFiendMissile

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Ganbare-Lucifer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3 by Ganbare-Lucifer
Replied by Ganbare-Lucifer on topic [SUBMISSION] Phantom Fiend

doesnt start
Code:
Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 1 Parent type 'BloodFiend' not found in PhantomFiend Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 64: Parent type 'BloodFiendMissile' not found in PhantomFiendMissile

I tried to load it with the Blood Fiend monster from the repo which I assume is the one that the decorate is looking for, but then I still get this error, regardless of load order:
Code:
Script error, "PhantomFiend.pk3:decorate" line 64: Parent type 'BloodFiendMissile' not found in PhantomFiendMissile

Updated, removed the BloodFiendMissile parent to make it its own projectile, hope it works now

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #4 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Phantom Fiend
Yea it works now, and I really like the monster, the ghostly effect is really cool.

But is there are reason why this monster inherits from the BloodFiend in the first place? It should work totally fine without it, unless I'm missing something? Took a quick look at the decorate, didn't see anything that requires any inheritance. The PhantomFiend has all the default properties, states, sprites, etc. Nothing seems to be missing (except brightmaps, see below). For a quick test I replaced the "BloodFiend" inheritance with "Demon", still works fine, and should probably work without any inheritance at all.

here's the brightmaps error that is thrown on startup:
Code:
Brightmap 'BMFINDJ1' not found in texture 'FINDJ1' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ2' not found in texture 'FINDJ2' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ3' not found in texture 'FINDJ3' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ4' not found in texture 'FINDJ4' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ5' not found in texture 'FINDJ5' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ6' not found in texture 'FINDJ6' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ7' not found in texture 'FINDJ7' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ8' not found in texture 'FINDJ8'

Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by DeVloek.

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5 by Ganbare-Lucifer

Yea it works now, and I really like the monster, the ghostly effect is really cool.

But is there are reason why this monster inherits from the BloodFiend in the first place? It should work totally fine without it, unless I'm missing something? Took a quick look at the decorate, didn't see anything that requires any inheritance. The PhantomFiend has all the default properties, states, sprites, etc. Nothing seems to be missing (except brightmaps, see below). For a quick test I replaced the "BloodFiend" inheritance with "Demon", still works fine, and should probably work without any inheritance at all.

here's the brightmaps error that is thrown on startup:
Code:
Brightmap 'BMFINDJ1' not found in texture 'FINDJ1' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ2' not found in texture 'FINDJ2' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ3' not found in texture 'FINDJ3' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ4' not found in texture 'FINDJ4' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ5' not found in texture 'FINDJ5' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ6' not found in texture 'FINDJ6' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ7' not found in texture 'FINDJ7' Brightmap 'BMFINDJ8' not found in texture 'FINDJ8'

It was just a failsafe to make sure it loaded, now it has been leftovered, these inherits have been removed
Updated

• Gothic
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #6 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Phantom Fiend
Speaking of removing unnecessary actors, the PhantomFiendMissileTrail inherits from like 2 other actors that were used somewhere else in HF. You should just combine them in a single actor:
Code:
ACTOR PhantomFiendMissileTrail {    Alpha 0.50       Renderstyle ADD    Translation "Ice"    +NOINTERACTION    +FORCEXYBILLBOARD    States    {    Spawn:       TNT1 A 3       SPIR QRSTU 3 Bright A_FadeOut(0.1)       Stop    } }
The Fiend trails could also be reduced to a single actor if you use the transfer translation and sprite frame properties with A_SpawnItemEX:
Code:
A_SpawnItemEX("PhantomFiendTrail",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERSPRITEFRAME|SXF_TRANSFERTRANSLATION)
and only use this actor:
Code:
ACTOR PhantomFiendTrail {       RENDERSTYLE ADD    Alpha 0.50    +NOINTERACTION    States    {    Spawn:       "####" "#" 10         "####" "#########" 3 Bright A_FadeOut(0.05)       Stop    } }
And while it's using the same sprites from the Blood Fiend, you renamed them to BLFN instead of using SAR2. You should use the same sprites from the one in the Beastiary, that way if the modder uses both, they'll know which sprites to remove, and you can reuse the brightmaps from the Blood Fiend with no problems.

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #7 by Ganbare-Lucifer

Speaking of removing unnecessary actors, the PhantomFiendMissileTrail inherits from like 2 other actors that were used somewhere else in HF. You should just combine them in a single actor:
Code:
ACTOR PhantomFiendMissileTrail {    Alpha 0.50       Renderstyle ADD    Translation "Ice"    +NOINTERACTION    +FORCEXYBILLBOARD    States    {    Spawn:       TNT1 A 3       SPIR QRSTU 3 Bright A_FadeOut(0.1)       Stop    } }

The Fiend trails could also be reduced to a single actor if you use the transfer translation and sprite frame properties with A_SpawnItemEX:
Code:
A_SpawnItemEX("PhantomFiendTrail",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERSPRITEFRAME|SXF_TRANSFERTRANSLATION)

and only use this actor:
Code:
ACTOR PhantomFiendTrail {       RENDERSTYLE ADD    Alpha 0.50    +NOINTERACTION    States    {    Spawn:       "####" "#" 10         "####" "#########" 3 Bright A_FadeOut(0.05)       Stop    } }

And while it's using the same sprites from the Blood Fiend, you renamed them to BLFN instead of using SAR2. You should use the same sprites from the one in the Beastiary, that way if the modder uses both, they'll know which sprites to remove, and you can reuse the brightmaps from the Blood Fiend with no problems.

Updated

• Gothic
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #8 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Phantom Fiend