[SUBMISSION] Portable Teleport Device

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #1 by DeVloek
[SUBMISSION] Portable Teleport Device was created by DeVloek
My first submission to the new Gadgets section in the Item Store, this one was inspired by Captain Toenail's Sigil Scroll which teleports the player back to the start of the map. I wanted to have something like that in a Doom stylee, but I didn't wanna stop there so I added a few more functions to the basic concept.
I hope mappers will find this useful to create secrets and puzzles à la Divinity OS with its teleport pyramids. I know it's not exactly the same but you gotta start somewhere :-P

Info
Name: Portable Teleport Device
Type: Teleport
Palette: Doom
Summon: PTDevice, PTBeacon, PETDevice
Use type: Inventory
Duration: Map / Instant
Brightmaps: Yes
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Description:
This handy gadget comes in two variants.

Portable Teleport Device:
The green device allows you to teleport to a previously placed beacon at the press of a button.
Activate the beacon to drop it to your feet, then use the device to teleport back to the beacon.
This device and its beacon are reusable, you can always pick the beacon back up and drop it elsewhere.
Beware, the beacon can be destroyed under closing doors and ceiling/floor crushers.
Also it will temporarily deactivate if something else occupies the same space.

Portable Emergency Teleport Device:
The red device monitors your vital signs and acts as an emergency escape.
Once you are at the brink of death it will teleport you back to the start of the map.
The device will be consumed however, which is a small price to pay to save your life.
You can also activate it manually anytime, no beacon is needed.

Credits
Code: DeVloek
GLDefs: DeVloek
Sounds: DeVloek
Sprites: Sonik.O.Fan, Inti Creates
Sprite Edit: DeVloek
Idea base: Captain Toenail's Sigil Scroll

Sprite Preview

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RMHNVrHjsqFKeMCCJqqwrYzwMp8_0H1g/view?usp=sharing

edit:
Not sure if I should keep the amount of sounds as it is, with the beeping everytime a monster steps on/off the beacon and deactivates/activates it.
Also one more thing of note, a beacon placed on the map via editor is already activated, so players who have found the device before the beacon can teleport right to it. I can think of several scenarios where that could be useful, but maybe there's a situation where that isn't desirable and the beacon shouldn't activate until the player has picked it up?
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by DeVloek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Portable Teleport Device
Update:

I decided to remove the "fail" sound from the function that checks if anything is blocking the beacon. I noticed that when trying to pick up the beacon, there's a sweet spot between detecting a blockage (in this case, the player) and actually picking it up, which sometimes resulted in the sound playing for a brief moment before it was cut off.
Now the beacon will only play a sound when it is re-activating after having been blocked, and the fail sound will only play when you are trying to teleport to an inactive beacon.

• Gothic
More
1 month 1 week ago #3 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Portable Teleport Device
One thing I find odd is when you use the PTDevice while moving, you teleport with your view still bobbing even if you're standing still.
I don't know if it is intended to have more than 1 PTBeacon active, but when there are more, you teleport to them randomly instead of sequentially (in order of spawning).

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #4 by DeVloek

One thing I find odd is when you use the PTDevice while moving, you teleport with your view still bobbing even if you're standing still.

Thanks for the heads up, I really should try to remember to turn on bobbing when testing my stuff. I absolutely despise it in normal gameplay so I always turn it off, incl weapon bobbing. I'll look into it.

I don't know if it is intended to have more than 1 PTBeacon active, but when there are more, you teleport to them randomly instead of sequentially (in order of spawning).

Yeah I noticed that too, it is not intended but it didn't bother me that much. I'm using a specialspot as the tp destination, and A_Teleport can only chose it at random afaik. I already tried a different approach (SetOrigin) which came with its own downsides, but this one is more robust regarding collision checks so I'd rather keep it. I'll update the description and mention the random teleport if multiple beacons are present.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #5 by DeVloek
Updated, fixed the view bob issue.

• Gothic
More
1 month 1 week ago #6 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Portable Teleport Device