Palette: Doom
Summon: HoloDoomguy
Use type: Inventory
Duration: Toggle / 60 seconds
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Description:
A portable gadget that deploys a hologram of Doomguy when used.
- All nearby monsters forget their current target and attack the hologram instead
- Hologram cannot be destroyed, all attacks go right through it
- Can be turned on and off anytime, turning it off stops the timer
- Monsters may still switch targets if they are attacked (allows infighting and retaliation against the player)
- Can perform rude one-liners and obscene hand gestures to provoke monsters repeatedly
- See holodoomguy.txt to configure range, duration and provoking intervals

Credits
Code: DeVloek, Gothic, Player701
GLDefs: DeVloek
Sounds: 3D Realms, ZeroXDiamond
Sprites: id Software, 3D Realms, Mark Quinn, Kinsie
Sprite Edit: DeVloek
Idea base: HoloDuke​​​​​​​

Sprite Preview

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VRnXWS3bB8dCfOPOwZFkt-eGWfXDo5Zq/view?usp=sharing

One thing regarding the doomguy sprites. They are based on an unarmed doomguy from a mod called "Third Person". The author credited Skulltag, but it's not from there afaik. So if anyone knows who actually created the melee marine sprite set, please let me know so I can add them to the credits.
The "obscene hand gesture" poses were inspired by a spritesheet of a doomguy doing an uppercut that I got off Deviantart, which actually gave me the idea for the gesture ;-) The author probably used the same sprites as a base, but they didn't give credit either...

added Mark Quinn to the credits

btw I had much fun making this, if you try this out you'll probably understand why :lol: 
Last edit: 1 month 6 days ago by DeVloek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #2 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] HoloDoomguy
This is hilarious, I love it 🤭

This item could work well for Strife also, if the marine is replaced with a rebel.

The fist marine has been around for a long time, the earliest instance I know of is part of the Marine Skins pack here: https://www.doomlegends.com/emporium/skinpacks.html which is credited to Mark Quinn.

It is also part of Ghastly's weapon skin pack: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?style=14&t=24210
Many of these have already been used as a base for new zombie edits. There are more weapons there if anyone feels like making a new zombie.

Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by CaptainToenail.

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #3 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] HoloDoomguy
Thank you Captain! Finally a link that works, I've been poking into all kinds of dead ends during my research, most websites from back in the day are gone forever, even some more recent archives no longer work. But doomlegends.com is still up and running, and Mark Quinn is indeed the author of that sprite set.

// Fists marine skin created by Mark Quinn (a.k.a. Boingo the Clown)
// Completion date: March 10, 2001
// e-mail: boingo_the_clown@hotmail.com
// Home page: www.geocities.com/boingo_the_clown/

2001, wow... it has been a hot minute. That was right around the time where my initial interest in Doom modding has already waned in favor of sex drugs and rock'n'roll (and trying to make a living to pay the rent lol), which only came back years later when I discovered the Realm667 (Scalliano's R667 shuffle in particular). So most mods from that period of time are completely unknown to me, but I love resource digging and discovering old gems like this :-)

Anyway, before I drift off into memory lane too much, I updated the file with the accurate credits. I'll think about doing a Strife variant, although I have to admit I'm not that interested in making Strife content. I guess I could simply replace my friendly doomguy with a vanilla Strife rebel, but the one-liners would have to go, they were made specifically for Brutal Doom and don't really fit in Strife.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #4 by DeVloek
Update:

Today I looked at the inventory icon and the pickup sprite that I made yesterday and I realized how bad my work was :-C
Always good to look at things with fresh eyes, so I made a new sprite of the standing doomguy, and while I was at it I animated the icon.

• Gothic
More
1 month 1 week ago #5 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] HoloDoomguy
Having a timer or indicator to let know the player how long will the hologram last would be nice.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #6 by DeVloek
Yeah that bothers me too, I wish I knew how to add a timer graphic or countdown to the inventory icon. I gotta do some research, no idea if that's even possible. If someone could point me to a mod that already has something like that I'd be grateful.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #7 by DeVloek
Alright I did my research, now there's a countdown while the hologram is active. It is drawn on top of the statusbar via RenderOverlay, but it has this fixed position even when switching to the alternative HUD or no HUD. I have yet to find out how to tie it to the inventory icon so the countdown has always the same position as the icon, regardless of HUD setting. 

• Gothic
More
1 month 1 week ago #8 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] HoloDoomguy
I saw that the Medical Backpack has its counter in the inventory bar because when you pick it up, it gives you 100 items. I tried to do the same with the HoloDoomguy, and instead of displaying a message, it removes an item from your inventory. This allows for a more Build-like counter, and if you pickup another one, it recharges it just like the original HoloDuke did. I'm also using DepleteOrDestroy instead of relying on a counter, and replaced AttachtoOwner with TryPickup. And gave it a different sprite for the hud icon.
Let me know what you think:

File Attachment:

File Name: HDG edit.zip
File Size:126 KB

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #9 by DeVloek
I wish I had seen your post sooner, but notification e-mails are once again not working anymore. I spent half the day trying all kinds of different things and ended up with a simple timer bar right above the status bar (or right above the bottom of the screen if fullscreen HUD is enabled), but I definitely prefer the item count method since it works natively and looks less intrusive. Oh well, at least I was able to fix a few bugs that went unnoticed before, and I also overhauled the sprites once more. Now the hologram is a standing Doomguy, for this I used sprites from Doom Enhanced as a base, so Kinsie has been added to the credits.

I'll combine your method with my lastest version asap.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 month 1 week ago #10 by DeVloek
Update:
  • reworked or touched up most sprites
  • added timer display (thanks Gothic)
  • many bugfixes, including one where the decoy didn't work if the item was carried over from one map to the next
  • now provokes all monsters everytime, not only those that haven't been provoked before (that behavior was too complicated, I'd like to keep it simple)
  • monsters with the NOTARGETSWITCH flag are now excluded

@Gothic I'm guessing you included the low res icon to avoid visual discrepancy with other inventory items. But tbh I didn't like the sprite that much so I made new ones that animate like the old icon (which is still included incase someone prefers higher res). Btw should I credit you or Player701 for the code snippets you provided?